D-West Volleyball 2021: A Season to Remember

Get your game faces on! The West volleyball team prepares for their match against Spring Ford High School in the first round of playoffs.

Maddie McCole, Staff Reporter

This year the Downingtown West Volleyball team was projected to do great things, but what they accomplished was truly unforgettable. The lady Whippets finished out their successful regular season with the record of 18-2, placing 4th in the District 1 4A Division. Their only 2 losses in the regular season were to Shanahan and Unionville, the top teams in the Ches-Mont League.

Remarkable is not even close to what this season entailed. These girls were the 3rd team in West Volleyball history to make it to States, the last time being in 2018. Darby Weller (‘23) recapped this season as “one that I truly enjoyed. It showed that all of us really tried our best on and off the court, to make this season as successful as it was.”

In the last couple of weeks the girls had to face tough teams on the road for playoffs and States competition. As their season ended on November 9th, against the #1 ranked team in Pennsylvania, Parkland High School, they fought for every point and remembered all the great moments they had this season. A noticeable highlight was beating Garnet Valley and qualifying for States!

When watching these girls play they demonstrated true determination and teamwork both on and off the court. Claudia Bournazel’s (‘22) favorite memory was “making it to States and getting close with everyone on the team, it was a season to remember!”

Overall the West Volleyball team finished strong and are looking forward to another great season next year!