2020 Field Hockey Season Review

Matt Hornstein

Say Cheese! Downingtown West poses after their victory over Kennett HS for the Ches-Mont Championship.

Haley Kuhn, Staff Reporter

Accomplishments Throughout the Season

The Downingtown West Field Hockey Team finished their regular season off strong with a record of 8 wins and zero losses. After the regular season was over it was off to the Ches-Monts. The team battled against Kennett High School for the Ches-Mont Championship and came out on top with a score of 2-0. With the title of Ches-Mont Champs, Downingtown West qualified for a spot in the PIAA District 1 3A Tournament bracket.

On Monday, November 2nd, Downingtown West played Central Bucks South in the first round of District Playoffs. Unfortunately, Downingtown lost to CB South with a score of 2-1, causing their season to end.

The New Normal

In the summer of 2020, Downingtown West joined a league at the United Sports Training Center in Downingtown. To help get them back on track, the team thought it would be a good idea to play and start the connection on the field early on. Especially with the lockdown restricting the players from practicing with their club travel teams, they needed to shake off the dust on their sticks.

Due to COVID-19, the team did not have a regular preseason. Usually, teams have this time to get in shape and condition their players, but since the PIAA regulated this, they did not have the option of having mandatory practices before school started. Once DASD started the school year, the team was back at Kottmeyer Stadium practicing.

COVID-19 Safety Precautions

Due to the pandemic, there were many changes that needed to take place to ensure everyone’s safety. Senior captain Chloe Morgan said, “During practices, everyone on the team including the coaches had their masks on. Once we were put into small groups and scrimmaged we were able to take those masks off.” During a game, everyone had to wear a mask. That included the coaches, referees, scorekeepers, and players on the sidelines. The only ones who were allowed without a mask were the players on the field, and, once they were substituted out of the game, they needed to put the mask back on. Even the fans were limited this year, as each player on the team got tickets for only their family members, and tickets were no longer sold at the door. Each of the fans in the stadium had to wear a mask as well.

Despite the difficulties and changes brought on by the pandemic, the field hockey team had a great season and was able to build upon the skill and talent they had developed in previous seasons.  Congratulations to the ladies of West FH!