Barndawg’s: A Local Eatery Spotlight

Say Cheese! Seniors Erin Sporn (‘20) and Ethan O’loughlin (‘20) work the prep line to make food for their valued customers.

Erin Sporn

Azaria Roberts, Staff Reporter

If you’re looking for gourmet hotdogs at a reasonable price, Barndawg’s Gourmet Hotdogs may be the place for you. Barndawg’s is a new restaurant located in the heart of Downingtown and is known for its Chicago Style gourmet hot dogs.

Barndawg’s was founded by Barney, a man who has a passion for serving hot dogs the right way! Barney took a normal hotdog and elevated the sausage and bun with partnering homemade corned beef and toppings, customizable for every customer.

Barndawg’s restaurant has a family-friendly feel and will accommodate all of its customers. Not only that, but they are a well-known establishment that hires many Downingtown West students who are looking for a full-time job. Ethan O’Loughlin, a senior at Downingtown West, is a prep chef and line cook that has been working there since its opening.

Barney, aka Barndawg, had the idea to open a gourmet hot dog eatery when he was in New York City. Barney says, “I was visiting the cathedral of baseball and thought, what better way catch a game than with a hot dog and a beer. I was hooked: the atmosphere, the experience. It hit me. I told myself that would open up a restaurant that would embody a great hot dog experience.”

O’Loughlin (’20) has had many positive experiences since his hiring date and feels that it’s time that Barndawg’s receives praise. The line cook shares that “when you walk in, the restaurant itself is super modern and all of our tables and aesthetics of the furniture are super nice with a hint of old-fashioned wood and metal frames.”  The decor makes every customer feel at home!

Barndawg’s has been serving the people of the greater Downingtown area since November 23rd, 2019. The eatery has made amazing progress since then and we look forward to eating more from them in the future. If you have not tried their food yet I would highly recommend ordering to go during this time quarantine.

You can access more information at their website.