Grad Project Ideas and and Inspiration

The Volunteer Center

Two high school teenagers spend their Saturday volunteering at a retirement home.

Maria Alvarez Flores, Staff Reporter

Are you struggling to come up with an idea for your graduation project? Did you wait until the last minute and now you can’t get a parking pass for next year? Don’t you worry anymore! One of the most challenging things about graduation projects is coming up with ideas. Luckily in the Downingtown community, there are a number of graduation projects in plain sight. Many of them have even been on the morning announcements or in Dr. Barker’s weekly email updates.

One of the most important things to look at when deciding what you want to do for your graduation project is your interests and how it will benefit you in the future. You want to make sure that you find something that interests you and may even help you in the years to follow. Some of the most done projects around Downingtown and the communities around us are: Habitat for Humanity, volunteering at a nursing home (St. Martha’s), volunteering as a coach and camp counselor (United Sports Training Center, Downingtown Little League, etc.), babysitting/ helping neighbors, and/or volunteering at our local libraries. Although there are a number of graduation projects out there, you should choose one that you find interesting so you won’t be miserable while doing volunteer work. It is never a good idea to impulsively choose a project because it will be something you may end up regretting.

When I was a sophomore, I was trying to quickly find something to do just so I could get my hours over with quickly since I wanted a parking pass. I signed up as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, but I, later on, thought about it more. I knew I wouldn’t enjoy it, so I went on and started to look for other things I could do instead. A family friend recommended becoming a camp counselor that summer and I decided to try it. I look back and I’m very glad I did because I really enjoyed meeting new people and working with kids. I benefited from it a lot more than I thought because it allowed me to broaden my perspectives on many things and it got me out of my comfort zone. I recently interviewed Anshu Mehta (’20), a student at Downingtown West, about her experience volunteering at Habitat for Humanity. When asked about her experience, she said “I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity the summer going into my senior year and I wish I wouldn’t have waited that long to do it. I did enjoy my experience because I was able to meet new people from other cities and work with them. While volunteering, I was mainly organizing items such as fine china and paint buckets. I really enjoyed the experience overall, but I don’t recommend waiting until your senior year because I was a bit stressed.”

No matter what you choose to do for your graduation project, choose something that will benefit you. Whether it’s volunteering at a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter, or simply walking dogs for a neighbor, it should be something you enjoy. Many students sometimes choose to do projects that have something to do with their career goals. Some of those include: volunteering at an animal hospital, tutoring, and cooking for soup kitchens. The number of things you can do for a graduation project are unthinkable.