D-West Cheer — 2020 State Champs!

Courtesy Action Shots Photography

We did it! The varsity cheer team reacts immediately after they are announced the 2020 PA State Champions!

Nicolette McNaughton, Staff Reporter

Remaining undefeated, the Downingtown West Co-ed Varsity cheer team brought home the first state win for the cheer team ever in the school’s history. The cheerleaders have been working extremely hard, starting their season back in May. In that time they have gone to camp, cheered at football and basketball games, and won multiple competitions. Although their hard work has clearly been paying off, it does not stop now, especially with nationals and Ches-Mont competitions coming up next month. 

The state competition lasts for two days, with the first day determining if a team gets to move on to finals. The cheer team had so many emotions throughout the competition, before, during, and after it was all over.

To describe how it felt before going on to compete, cheerleader Kathryn Brechbill (‘21) said, “We all had good energy, the team was united.”

Going straight through to finals the next day, the West varsity squad was announced the 2020 Co-ed State Champions! The team’s goal since they had their camp in June was to finally win States, so finally doing it was a huge deal. Sophomore cheerleader Shelby Hale described how it felt as the squad was announced as the winner: “Accomplished. Everything we wanted was accomplished and we have to keep working.”

With only four more weeks to the season, the cheerleaders will keep working hard and doing their best. Wish them luck as they move forward to National competition in February!