West is Best! — A Boys B-ball Update

LifeTouch Photography

Cheese!! The varsity Downingtown West Boys' Basketball team poses for team picture.

Audrey Jones, Staff Reporter

The Downingtown West basketball has had a good start to the season, beating Bishop Shanahan, Pennsbury, Avon Grove, Henderson, and Upper Dublin High Schools. Captain Hunter Blair (’20) says that “the team hopes to make the district playoffs and qualify for states.”

On Tuesday, January 14th, the team suffered a 60-55 loss against rival, Downingtown East. However, the team came back for a great win against Henderson on Thursday, January 16th, with a 58-50 win. According to Blair, “Even though our team is very young and a little inexperienced, we are also fairly small which gives us the speed advantage.” The team went on to play Harrisburg on January 18th to take home a win.

The West vs. East game that took place on January 14th was no ordinary game. This game was senior captain Will Howard’s last high school game before he graduates early to play football at Kansas State University.

With his season being over, Howard reminisced about one of his favorite moments: “Getting my 1,000th point was one of my favorite moments. It was on a fast break dunk, the go-ahead point in our game. They stopped the game and honored me and it was really cool.”

With the absence of a star player, both captains still believe the team can bring all their talents together and achieve their goals of District and State titles.