Decorating the Perfect Christmas Tree

Choosing a theme for your tree can be a great inspiration point.  The author's tree, for example, features plaid ribbon as a major theme.

Abigail Chichester

Choosing a theme for your tree can be a great inspiration point. The author's tree, for example, features plaid ribbon as a major theme.

Abigail Chichester, Staff Reporter

When you think of Christmas you think the beautiful lights, Christmas music, cookies baking, and Christmas cards, but the most important thing to remember is the Christmas tree. Christmas trees represent the wholeness of the Christmas spiriti and getting together to create something wonderful. As it is said in Charlie Brown, “It’s not what’s under the Christmas tree that matters, but who’s around it.” With that being said, another part of the Christmas tree tradition comes with decorating it for the holiday season.

There are many ways to decorate a Christmas tree. One is coming up with the perfect theme. Think about the small things, for instance. Let’s start from the beginning: think of at least two colors. It could be three if you would like, but just having one cannot be enough. A couple of examples of good Christmas tree theme colors are silver and gold, just like the song.

After you get your color choices, think of a decoration that represents Christmas. For example, you might choose holly, fake pine cones, strung popcorn, or plaid ribbon. Ashlyn Brown, a junior at Downingtown West High School, says that her favorite decorations for a Christmas tree are “ornaments, lights, and some holly.”

In my opinion, there can never be too many decorations on the tree. That being said, if you are putting ribbon or another garland on the tree, make sure it is spread evenly all around the tree and make sure the decorations are not covering the lights.

Once you have the colors and your thematic object(s) chosen, think of what is going to go on top of the tree. The top of the tree is very significant to many people and it is traditionally adorned last, after the rest tree is decorated.  People have different customs of their own. The most popular two include the star and the angel, but who knows — maybe Elf on The Shelf will make it to the top of the Christmas tree this year! He can keep watch over the presents.

OPTIONAL: If you have a fireplace at your house, in front of it would be such a great location for your tree. That way you can have your fire in the fireplace and enjoy the tree. It would also make an easier trip for Santa; that way he can go down the chimney and put your presents right under the tree!

Once everything is put together yor family can gather around and sing “O Christmas Tree” or “Auld Lang Syne,” two traditional and time-honored Christmas carols.  This is the time where family and friends gather around and enjoy the love; enjoy your time with your family and friends around your specially decorated tree!