D-West Field Hockey — 2019 District 1 Champs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ones up! The D-West field hockey team gathers for a post-game photo to celebrate their 2019 District 1 Championship title.

Ciana Riccardo, Staff Reporter

The Downingtown West Girls’ Field Hockey team competed in the District 1 championship game on Saturday November 2, 2019, at 3:30 at Methacton High School against Plymouth Whitemarsh.

The Whippets were down 2-0 with only 8 minutes remaining in the game. They came together as a team and scored a goal with 6 minutes left. With all the momentum on the backs of the Whippets they scored the tying goal with 2:30 remaining.

Regulation ended in a nail-biting tie. With overtime in play, and 10 minutes on the clock, each team allowed seven players, including the goalie, to plat y for sudden death victory. With 7 minutes remaining in overtime senior Tatum Johnson deflected a pass into the back of the goal! The Whippets stormed the field with joy and excitement, celebrating their victory and their District 1 championship title.

Tatum Johnson (‘20) described her feelings about winning the title: “It was so amazing to be back on top!” For some lucky players, this title is the second in their careers as Whippets, as the field hockey team also won the District 1 Championship in 2017.

Up next, the Whippets will play Central Dauphin on Tuesday, November 5, at 6pm at Methacton High School.  Best of luck, girls!