West Girls’ Tennis Wins Unprecedented District League Title

Back to Article
Back to Article

The girls of West's tennis team smile proudly for a team photo.

Lifetouch Photography

Lifetouch Photography

Lifetouch Photography

Allison Malarkey, Staff Reporter

The Downingtown West girls tennis team is considered a family for the twenty-nine girls on the team, comprised of Varsity and Junior Varsity players.

This year’s team is led by coach Justin DePipropaolo and three senior captains, Jordyn Dale, Lily Shi, and Sydney Minnier. The long and hard season started in August with pre-season, including regular two-a-day practices. During the regular season, the girls practice every day after school and have matches every week, sometimes even up to three times a week.

The girls’ record for the 2019- 2020 school year is currently 18-1. The team won the district league title and ousted Henderson High School from their twenty-three-year reign as district champs! This upcoming Tuesday, October 22, some of the varsity girls will be heading to the state match. Good luck, West!

Also, within the girls’ and boys’ tennis team there is a scholarship called Jane’s Wish, in honor of a former tennis player, Jane, who died of cancer. Her scholarship gives out three thousand dollars each year to one girl tennis player and one boy tennis player. Just recently the girls turned in their essays to win this scholarship. That is about all the updates from the girls’ tennis team.

We wish our girls the best of luck in States competition!