Volleyball Senior Night: DWest vs. Kennett

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Regan Capers, Audrey Jones, Athena Anderson, and Taylor Root pose for their volleyball pictures.

Lea Filidore

Lea Filidore

Lea Filidore

Audrey Jones, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday, October 8th, Downingtown West eked out a 3-1 victory over the scrappy Kennett team on Senior Night with scores of 25-20, 25-22, 23-25, and 25-10. It was a thrilling four-set game between Downingtown West and Kennett as the two teams were neck in neck for the first three sets. In the fourth set, the Whippets were able to establish a huge lead, ending Senior Night with a victory. Audrey Jones had 15 kills and 4 blocks; Maddie Weller had 6 kills, 2 blocks, 12 digs and 4 aces; Athena Anderson had 8 digs and 1 ace; Taylor Root had 11 assists and 13 digs; Regan Capers had 6 kills, 1 block and 4 digs; and Grace Poluch had 6 kills , 2 blocks and 5 aces.

On Senior Night, all the seniors are traditionally incorporated in the starting line up during the first set. One of the senior captains, Regan Capers, shared what it was like to have the seniors together on the court: “It felt good to know that everyone was given a chance to show off their talents all together.” Even though Senior Night brings tremendous joy, Capers said, “It hit me like a truck because I realized that my senior season was coming to an end and that eventually, I won’t be able to see my best friends every day.”

Seniors always seem to be role models for the underclassmen. According to junior Lea Filidore, West volleyball is no exception. “The seniors are so good at taking care of us when we are down on ourselves and they always have the most uplifting spirits. They are all just such good role models as players and people. I truly look up to them so much. They really encapsulate everything that West volleyball is and stands for. It really won’t be the same without them next year,” she shared.

After the victory against Kennett High School, West Whippets are on their way to start the playoffs October 22nd, paving their path to States.