Apps for Studying

Google Drive offers many benefits for students looking for new study skills and strategies.

Julia Harpel, Staff Reporter

The end of the year is coming up quickly and finals will be here soon. Want to explore how technology can make your academic life better and easier?

Here are a few apps for studying: Quizlet, Kahoot, Evernote, Flash Card +, Duolingo, Grammarly, Google Drive, Google Slides, Google Docs, and Scholly.

All of the these apps have different advantages. The two most known studying apps are Quizlet and Kahoot. Quizlet is an app that allows you to make flash cards, studying games, and practice tests. It is a free app you can get from any app store on your phone. Senior Lauren Perlish comments, “Oh, I love Quizlet!”

Kahoot! is an game that quizzes you on information while competing with your classmates.  Many teachers use this to review in class, so why not make up a Kahoot! to test your friends while studying at home?

Not as well known as the ones previously mentioned are Evernote and Flash Card +. Evernote is a mobile app that helps you take notes, keep yourself organized, and make to do lists.  All info is saved in the cloud and accessible from multiple devices.  Flash Card + is a free app that makes flashcards; you can add pictures into the cards, which is great for science classes and languages. If you want an app that could specifically help you study for a language class, use Duolingo. I have used Duolingo for my Spanish class and it was easy to use and helpful. It can be used for English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, and many others.

For help writing final papers, use Grammarly to double check your editing skills. It will help you correct minor mistakes such as comma misplacement and spelling errors for free. For advanced editing you may have to pay.

Other well known and easy to use apps are the Google apps. Google Drive can help you save notes and other important information as you prepare for tests and examples. Google Slides allow you to create presentations for final projects. Google Docs are a great place to write down notes and make to- do lists.

Lastly, I have a recommendation for seniors who do not have to study for finals: download the app Scholly. Scholly costs $2.99 a month, but it could be invaluable for you as you prepare for college. The app has you take a test and then matches you with scholarships that would be best for you. If you need help writing your essays for scholarships there is an editor with suggestions on how to write the best essay. It keeps track of the amount of money you have applied for and helps you reach your goal of funding your college education.

Technology offers many ways to enhance our learning and help us succeed in school.  Try something new as we near the end of the year; it may be a grade-saver!