Staff Spotlight: Ms. Newman

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Spotlight: Ms. Newman

Mrs. Erin Newman joined the West Math department in the 2018-2019 school year.

LifeTouch Photography

LifeTouch Photography

LifeTouch Photography

Mackenzie Titus, Staff Reporter

This school year has brought many new changes to Downingtown West, including many new teachers.

After receiving my schedule over the summer I saw I had a teacher I have never heard of before. This teacher was math teacher Mrs. Erin Newman. Mrs. Newman graduated from Penn State and originally taught at Archbishop Carroll. She is now a new math teacher here at Downingtown West.

I wanted to get a little insight on how Mrs. Newman has been enjoying her experience at West and what she has planned for the future. When asked what her favorite thing about teaching at West is, Mrs. Newman replied, “My favorite thing about teaching at West, besides the friendly and hardworking student body, is the inspiring teachers that I am able to watch and gather ideas from. I am constantly being given resources at West to become a better teacher.”  Downingtown West is clearly able to provide an atmosphere where learning is key. Being able to collect ideas from peers and share it to the students is very important for any teacher.

I was also interested to know how she plans to impact not only her current, but also her future students.  Mrs. Newman shared that “subject area content is important, but I am more interested in trying to develop my students into logical thinkers who are able to solve challenging problems. I hope they are prepared to tackle the rigorous coursework they’ll see in college and/or become thriving members of our society.”

Helping students now, and also preparing them for the future is what makes a great teacher. Mrs. Newman may be new to West, but she is here to make a long lasting impact on her students!