West Cheer Headed to State and National Competitions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Whippets! The West Cheerleading team hits their final pyramid at Districts on 12/1/18.

Mr. Ken Modica

Mr. Ken Modica

Mr. Ken Modica

Gianna Carlucci, Staff Reporter

The 2018-2019 Downingtown West Cheerleading team has had successful beginning of their competition season. Their progress has been tremendous. The difference between their first competition, The Whippet Invitational, and their most recent competition, Regionals at Kutztown, is remarkable and outstanding.

The team’s achievements have not come without bumps in the road, but they have been able to overcome their challenges bringing them closer together. The team has put in mounds of work and are very dedicated, often giving up their free time to practice last minute with the hope of improving and reaching their goals.

They Whippets of West Cheer placed first in District competition, making the team the reigning district champions for the fourth year in a row. The energy they had during their district performance was insane.  Their district win advances them to States in Hershey Park on January 11, 2019. In addition, on the 13th they will take their talent to Ches-Monts.

This team also placed first at Regionals at Kutztown University. This win earned the squad a bid to Nationals in Orlando, Florida at the ESPN World Wide Sports Complex. They leave for Nationals on
February 7, 2019 and will return home on the eleventh. At the competition they will compete their regular routine as well as their game day routine against teams from all over the nation. For the first time, this year they will also be competing in the Worlds competition while at Nationals.  They are eligible to take part in Worlds because last year’s team placed fourth in the nation.

Captain Marissa Fisher (‘19) has been on Varsity for all four years of her high school cheerleading career. She explains her feelings on being a four-time district champion: “Honestly being a four time district champion is an amazing feeling. It is amazing knowing that each year a new team is put together and can live up to the expectations of the previous years’ teams. I think the most outstanding thing about winning districts each year is getting to see all of the new people (who haven’t won districts
before) and their happiness because they can get the same feeling that i have had for the past 4 years!” Marissa also says, “In the next upcoming weeks I’m looking forward to obviously our biggest competitions like Ches-Monts, States, and Nationals, but I am mostly looking forward to spending time with my team and experiencing the outcomes of the competitions (especially Nationals)! Nationals is the most fun because teams throughout the nation travel to Florida, and, in those 3-4 days, all of the teams continuously support and hype each other up, no matter where anyone is from.”

Sophia Bandy (‘21) says that her favorite competition is Nationals. Sophia puts in hard work as a cheerleader because, as she says, “I like to be at the football games cheering and stunting gives me a rush.” Sophia feels proud of her team at “times like at camp and choreography when we struggled so much and then finally got out act together and impressed ourselves.”

The cheerleaders of West keep pushing themselves to do better than their last practice. They continue to make their adoring fans, parents, teammates, and former cheerleaders proud. The co-ed team is reaching their goals and representing their school amazingly. It will be exciting to see them perform at States, Ches-Monts, and Nationals.