West Puck Season Update

Back to Article
Back to Article

West Puck Season Update

Assistant Captain Josh Biskowitz (‘19) chases after a loose puck in a 6-0 West win over Owen J. Roberts

Mr. E. Barron

Mr. E. Barron

Mr. E. Barron

Sean Barron, Staff Reporter

After starting the 2018-2019 season with a record of 2-0,the Whippets of West Puck have now lost 6 out of their last 7 games, bringing their record to 3-2-0-3. One of the most heartbreaking losses came when the Whippets faced rival Downingtown East in the annual Downingtown Cup on November 21. West Puck was held without a goal in a disappointing 3-0 loss to East.

West had their chance at revenge in the following game as they faced Downingtown East for the second time in just 9 days. The Whippets looked hot as they jumped to a 3-0 lead, but Downingtown East scored a goal in the dying seconds of the second period. The Cougars pounced on West in the third period, scoring 2 goals and tying the game at 3 at the end of regulation. It took all of one shift for the Cougars to bury the game winning goal and beat West for the second time in just as many games.

When asked about the disappointing start, Varsity Assistant Captain Josh Biskowitz (‘19) said, “We really play clean and sound hockey when we have all 5 of our skaters out on the ice. Unfortunately, penalties have been killing us and a team like East will take advantage of any power play they get to swing the momentum to their side. It was a very heartbreaking loss, but there were still many positive takeaways about the way we played the state champions. I’m confident that we will find a way to be on the winning side of the close games and that we’ll be back in the playoff race by Christmas.” Josh was voted captain by his teammates and coaches, and looks to use his leadership role to help turn the season around. His optimism will surely go a long way toward raising team morale.

The good news for the Whippets is they have 9 games remaining in their season, all of which are against Chesmont opponents. This 9-game stretch is vital for the Whippets’ hopes of defending their first ever Chesmont championship. West Puck’s next game is Monday, December 17 @7:40 pm against Avon Grove at the Patriot Ice Center.