Club Spotlight: Chess Club

Chess players Austin Ceglowski (‘19), Danielle Kucera (‘20) and Jenna Clark (‘20) cooperate to tackle a hard game of chess on their homemade chess board.

Mr. Bowes

Jenna Clark, Staff Reporter

Every Thursday after school, Chess Club is held in the library.  Organized and advised by Social Studies teacher Mr. Bowes, Chess Club has proven to be an unlikely favorite among West students. More and more students have been showing out to Chess Club and all are having a blast!

Chess Club member and player Kayla Boileau (’20) says that “Chess Club is a welcoming space to have a spectacular time and to learn new skills with friends.”  The club focuses not only on building chess strategies, but also on building friendships in the midst of friendly competition.

Though the game of chess is not usually considered popular or beloved in high schools, the West student body has gained an appreciation for it due to the efforts of Mr. Bowes.  In fact, last year, Chess Club had the largest number of participants in its yearbook club photo. Everyone is welcome to join the group, and, as Mr. Bowes always says, “Bring your friends!”

Chess Club meets on Thursday afternoons in the back of the library.  So, this Thursday, make sure to show up to Chess Club right after school! Learning chess is for everyone and it is an astounding way to build up your learning skills and strategies. If you are looking for a club to join, Chess Club is waiting for you!