Club Spotlight: Student Council

Back to Article
Back to Article

Club Spotlight: Student Council

Proudly posing at this year's HoCo dance, the StuCo senior officers smile with their advisers.

Alanna Braxton, Staff Reporter

West’s Student Council has been hard at work since the early days of the school year, working to plan and execute important events in the West social calendar. Leading the club through the 2018-2019 school year, the Student Council Officers are seniors Sadie Grunwell (Co-President), Mary Clay (Co-President), Alexis Gift (Vice President), Alanna Braxton (Secretary), and Elaina Geiger (Treasurer). The teacher advisers for this year are Mrs. McGregor (English) and, filling in for guidance counselor Mrs. Mastrangelo while she is on maternity leave, Mr. Sandberg (English).

With Homecoming and back-to-back spirit weeks finally over, there is a huge weight lifted off the club’s shoulders. Student Council has been extremely busy and working very hard. The officers, executive board, and general assembly members stayed after school nearly every day during HoCo week to make sure everything was perfect for the dance, and there is no doubt that the club also put a lot of time into planning spirit weeks for the students.  This year’s spirit weeks included the new Spirit Wars, which definitely increased participation here at West and seemed to be enjoyed by everyone.

Student Council has many more events to run as the school year continues, though Homecoming is by far their most time-consuming event. The Teacher Appreciation Holiday Luncheon, the Red Cross Blood Drive, the annual Day Without Hate,  and the Mr. West competition are the other big events that Student Council runs and that everyone at West can look forward to. One of the club’s co-presidents, Sadie Grunwell (’19), says, “We are so excited to see how it all works out and to finally be leading others in the club.”  There is no doubt that the group is off to a great start for the year.