Advice for New West Students

West school spirit! CBS News captures the school pep rally as the Whippets gear up for the big rivalry game against Downingtown East.

Laura Sarafinas, Staff Reporter

On the morning of August 27th, students throughout Downingtown Area School District
woke up hours earlier than usual, packed up their backpacks, and headed off for the first day of
school. They flooded the halls looking for familiar faces. Whether you are a brand new student
at West or an incoming freshman, know that there is no need to worry and no need to panic!
From finding classes and meeting new faces, starting out at a new school can be stressful, but there are some things you should know about West that will make your time here easier and better.

According to a current freshman, “The school itself [is] hard to figure out. I didn’t know my way around at all and I even came in over the summer a few times to figure it out. It took a few days, but I eventually figured it out.” Having an insight on what being a new student is like can help take the stress away. Here are a few things you should know as a Downingtown West Whippet, whether you are a new student or a returning student.

Participation and staying involved is key. No one is too cool to attend school events or participate in school activities! West offers many school functions that can be a lot of fun. Events open to everyone, such as homecoming, prom, Camathon, and bonfires, are just a few events where students show up to have a good time with friends. These events are also a great opportunity to meet new people and branch out to different friend groups. Getting involved in athletic activities and school sports is also a great way to get to know those who are in different grades. If there is not a school club you are interested in, make your own!

And last but not least, West football games and other sporting events can be a blast! It is always a great idea to come out and support the Downingtown West Whippets. The loud cheers of the student section can be heard from a mile away! However, here’s an important piece of advice from sophomore Laci Jardine: “I would not recommend attempting to crowd surf at West games!” Despite the lack of crowdsurfing, spectating a Whippet contest is still a great way to support the school and hang out with friends. Go West!