Student Council 2018-2019 Executive Board Election

Future StuCo co-presidents Mary Clay (‘19) and Sadie Grunwell (‘19) right after the election. Nothing but smiles!

Alanna Braxton

Alanna Braxton, Staff Reporter

Every year in May, the Downingtown West Student Council has an election for the next year’s officers. The General Assembly (G.A.) and Executive Board vote for who they want to be their officers for the following year. Each officer candidate makes a speech and fills out an application for the teachers to read over to make sure they would meet the responsibilities of an officer.

Because of the vast amount of responsibilities associated with the position of president, the Executive Board and StuCo advisers elect co-presidents rather than only one president. This year, those running for the coveted spot of StuCo President were Sadie Grunwell, Alexis Gift, Mary Clay and Nikolai Murphy. Alanna Braxton and Lauryn Parker ran for secretary, and Elaina Geiger ran unopposed for treasurer.

The election was held on May 17th after school. Each candidate read his or her speech and then the G.A. voted. Around 5:00, Mrs. McGregor emailed the results to the candidates. The results were in! Sadie Grunwell and Mary Clay were elected co-Presidents, Alexis Gift as Vice President, Alanna Braxton as Secretary and, no surprise here, Elaina Geiger as Treasurer. Next year’s Student Council is, yet again, another team of girls. It should be a very successful year!