2018 Downingtown West Girls’ Lacrosse Season Review

Andrew Ardle

The girls prepare to play under the lights.

Andrew Ardle, Staff Reporter

As the 2018 girls’ lacrosse season comes to an end, we reflect on a great season full of fantastic performances and memories that will last a lifetime.

The team ended the regular season with a 13-5 record, at one point winning six straight games. Downingtown West finished up the regular season needing to win their two final games to get a home game in the district playoffs. They did this, beating Henderson and West Chester East by a combined 19 points. This earned them an 11 seed in the PIAA District 1-3A Playoffs matched up against 22-seed Strath Haven. After having the game delayed one day due to a huge thunderstorm and swirling clouds, West won 8-7 and moved on to the second round, where they would play 6-seeded Plymouth Whitemarsh the following day. The girls beat Plymouth Whitemarsh 10-6, with Olivia DiGiorgio icing the win with a goal in the final minutes of the game.

Moving on to the quarterfinals, The team played the 3-seeded Unionville, who West had lost to 11-9 earlier in the season. The game ended with a 17-6 heartbreaking loss. West will have a chance to play to be a 5-seed in the state playoffs, their first state playoff berth in ten years. They’ll play Downingtown East at 4:00 pm on Tuesday May 22nd. If they lose they’ll play Thursday for the 7th-seed. If they win they’ll play Thursday for the 5 seed. If West loses Tuesday and Thursday the will not make States. No matter the result of the next couple of games, this season has been a great one, and each and every girl should be proud of the team they created and the culture they established.

Junior Peyton Mottice smiles big in honor of her 100th career goal here at West.

Important milestones achieved by players this year include juniors Corinne Bednarik and Peyton Mottice both scoring their 100th goals. Peyton also got the 200th point of her career (goals and assists). More contributions came from junior Olivia DiGiorgio who tallied over 30 points with over 20 goals with the highest shooting percentage on the team. Junior Emily Feeney contributed over 50 points and got better and better as the season progressed. Freshman Aliza Thir had a strong start to her career, tallying over 15 points. With only four seniors leaving, and multiple impact juniors returning, the 2019 Downingtown West Girls’ Lacrosse team is going to have high expectations and will look to build on this year’s success.

Corinne Bednarik celebrates her 100th goal with Coach Conzentino.