G4C Hosts Coffee House; Proceeds Go to Habitat for Humanity

Julia Harpel, Staff Reporter

Last Thursday night, January 25th, 2018, Generation For Change held their first ever Winter Coffee House. Club and audience members gathered in the library to participate in and view the open mic performances. The night was full of diverse performances and genres. First up was Anika Floersheim (‘19), who performed a mash up and used her cup to keep the beat. Senior David Cospito shared some of his original poetry. Lizzie Cherry, a member of the class of 2021, sang a sampling of songs throughout the night. Junior Julia Johnson took the stage in a unique way, playing her electric violin. Angelina Lewis (‘21) read original poetry, and Precious Sithole (‘21) sang a cover of the song “Airplanes” by BOB. Sophomore songwriter Jack June even gave the audience a preview of his new song. Lastly, Mckenna Kovatch (‘18) finished the night by showcasing her singing abilities. All of these wonderful students took advantage of sharing their talents with other classmates.

The library was decorated for the evening by the G4C club members in a Winter Wonderland theme.  The club also provided chips, cookies, and snacks for their guests. The club would like to send out a special thank you to Bakers of Buffington for donating cupcakes and to Wegman’s for donating coffee. They are incredibly thankful for support from the local community!

Over the past year the club has held numerous events, including Coffee Houses, Movie Nights, and Fundraisers, in order to donate to various charities. The proceeds from the Coffee House Open Mic event went to Habitat For Humanity. After last year’s Talent Show collected money for Habitat For Humanity, the club decided to stick with the same charity.  Overall, the Coffee House Open Mic was a success, with a series of wonderful performances in the name of a good cause.