St. Andrews’ “The Other Guys” Visit West

Sydney Rutkowski, Staff Reporter

On January 10th, 2018, “The Other Guys,” an a cappella group from University of St. Andrews in Scotland, stopped at Downingtown West to perform for the choir students during sixth period. The Scottish singers started out by having the eager students circle up while they conducted a few warm up exercises. West students then enjoyed a high energy performance by “The Other Guys,” including songs such as “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” and “It’s Raining Men,” along with a few other softer songs. Finally, the “Octatonix,” West’s a cappella group started by current seniors Sydney Szwarc (‘18) and Cassidy Kosta (‘18), was able to perform one of their favorite songs from the winter concert: “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.” Octatonix was then given constructive criticism by “The Other Guys” and were able to perform a few more times with the hopes to take the advice and improve their music.

Downingtown West High School Alumni Davis Roper (‘17) is in his first year at the University of St. Andrews and has been a part of “The Other Guys” for his first few months there. He was delighted to be able to return to Downingtown West and perform on its stage again. Co-director of “Octatonix” Cassidy Kosta (‘18) explained that “although it was very intimidating to perform in front of such a talented group… their feedback was extremely helpful to us as a group.” She went on to say, “It was nice to see a former member of Octatonix doing great things and he serves as a role model for all of the singers at Downingtown West.”